Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dedicated

I was standing in the make-shift store at eBay Live! in Chicago. All of sudden almost out of nowhere someone came up to me, grabbed my wrist and said "Janie Ruth fell ten feet off a balcony - she's in surgery that's all I know".

What? A cold chill went through me as I thought of this funny lady who I had just met at a dinner she had organized two days earlier. "I think she was at the art museum, I'm not sure", the young woman said.

If you read earlier posts from this blog, you'll see Janie Ruth had joined in along with a small group of OSI rock stars on a forum where life started to imitate art, and art started to imitate life.

It would take an irreverent, wild, slightly sarcastic, clever and extremely funny group of people to pull off one of the best threads I ever encountered on the Internet in any forum.

The Malaprops, pings and pongs, lightning fast comments back & forth took form manifesting itself by utilizing New Media and Social Networking at it's best. Video clips appeared and counter-video clips promptly appeared as responses to in kind.

Janie Ruth embraced and championed the new media with an incredible zeal and used it to express her razor-sharp wit.

Tears started to well up just thinking of how severe the fall must have been.

I later learned from a friend who knew her for over 15 years that she had been by herself. Her daughter had come to Chicago with her. I was told one of the top neurosurgeons was in the emergency room when she was brought in. He probably saved her life. We are getting updates and each little bit of news of her progress is so welcomed.

No comments: